Thursday, May 26, 2011

My beloved Ginger

I had hoped that this week I would be posting a celebration post but instead I am posting a sad goodbye.  I am sure many of you have wondered why I call my blog The Crafty Basenji, well its because of a dear sweet dog that I own.  10 years ago this week I brought a scarred abused basenji named Ginger into my life and she forever changed it.  In case you do not know a basenji is a small African hunting dog used to flush wild game from the brush, they are also known as the barkless dog but they are far from silent.  Instead of barking they yodel, howl and also scream, trust me go to youtube and look for basenjis and there are plenty of examples of their noises.

Ginger was over weight, had no muscle tone and had no social skills.  It was not always easy with her and we had many issues that we over came with time.  She turned out to be a very sweet girl, loved our kittys and helped with other rescue basenjis.  Sadly on May 16, 2011 at the age of 13, I lost her to kidney failure.  I feel like a part of me has died and even thou I have 3 Chesapeake Bay Retrievers I miss my little lap dog dearly.  I have put off posting this because I knew that it would be a tough one to type up.  I even debated on deleting my blog but have decided to keep it to keep her living on thru the internet.

I love this picture because if shows how wonderful she turned out to be, she put up with a lot when my son was born but she never once showed any agression towards him.


Here she is with her sister Nickie in June of 2004 at a dog park on the beach in California.  We can tell that Nickie misses her sister, this is the first time she has been without her.


Little did I know that this would be the last picture I took of Ginger in April.  I just thought it was funny that 2 dogs and my sons turtle was enjoying the sunshine together.  If there was sun to be found, Ginger was sure to be in it.


The other day I picked up Ginger's ashes but didn't tell my son what was in the wooden box he was holding.  I told him it was a special box to put Gingers memories in, he looked up at the sky and said " I wonder what cloud she is on."  I had to pull over to the side of the road and cry a little.  As I was typing this he noticed me crying again and asked if I was sad about Ginger and I told him yes, he told me that I still had Ginger's box to remember her with and I thanked him for reminding me.


Ginger
1997 -2011
Forever in my heart and never far from my mind


4 comments:

ArchangelDecker said...

Sending many hugs and prayers to you!

shibasenji said...

She was a beautiful girl. You'll always have your memories of her, and your son's life will surely have been enriched for having the opportunity to have grown up with her, and all your dogs. Thanks for the post. I'm sorry for your loss.

CalamityJr said...

I'm so sorry you lost your special friend. There's nothing like the love of a dog, and I know you'll miss her a lot!

paula said...

Years ago I had a heart to heart with my vet when my Paka was ill . . . now, I have 2 faux ming vases with the ashes of all of my fur~children ... your post brought back the memories of that ride home with Paka's ashes . . .I knew she was home for good and my world felt better having her home with me.